Creamy Paleo Mushroom Chicken
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders See Note Below
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces baby mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk See Note Below
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut amino liquid amino or soy sauce
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp sea salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with sea salt and pepper. Place in the cast iron skillet browning both sides. (Your chicken should not be cooked through yet). Remove from pan and set to the side.
- Chop your yellow onion and add to the skillet. Once the onion begins to brown, add the mushrooms and garlic. (See Note Below)
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a separate bowl, combine the chicken broth, coconut milk, flour, coconut amino, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. Whisk well until combined. Make sure there are no "clumps" from the flour.
- Once your onions have caramelized, add the chicken and pour the sauce into the skillet. Bring everything to a rolling boil and cook for 10-15 minutes. If the sauce isn't thick enough, continue to add 1tsp flour until thick.
- Serve with any side! If you are not on paleo, serve over rice!
***We like to use chicken breasts but cutting them into small strips. ***You can use any milk alternative you would like. I have tried this with whipping cream, but it does take away being a dairy free option ***If your onions, mushrooms, and garlic begin to stick to the bottom of the skillet, add a small amount of avocado oil or water to help de-glaze the pan ***If you want to add wine to this dish, you can use a white wine (my favorite is Sauvignon Blanc) and just add 1/3 cup to your sauce mixture
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!