Zesty Watermelon Jelly
Enjoy this refreshingly pink jelly to add a different flavor to all your jelly needs! With a touch of lemongrass, it really adds a unique flavor that you are sure to fall in love with! The following recipe makes approximately 5, 8-ounce jars. Prep Time: 2 Hours and 30 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes; Resting Time: 12-24 hours; Total Time: roughly 24 hours;
- 1 Pressure Canner If you don't have a pressure canner, just use a really large, deep pot that will cover your jars with about 1 inch of water above the lids.
- 5 8-ounce Jars
- 5 Lids & Bands
- 1 Heavy-Bottomed Stainless Steel Saucepan For best results, use a saucepan that is about three times deeper than the level of the recipe's juice and sugar combined. Jelly bubbles and boils up with reaching the full rolling boil and requires that extra pan depth!
- 1 Jar lifter
- 1 De-Bubbler
- 6 Cups Chopped Watermelon rind removed
- 1/2 Cup White Balsamic White Wine, or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Bottled Lemon Juice
- 5 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Stem Lemongrass Chopped
- 2 Pouches Ball* Liquid Pectin/Bernardin* Liquid Pectin
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened White Grape Juice You may not need this grape juice. This is only if you do not have enough of the watermelon juice after letting it sit for 2 hours. Do not add more than 1/4 cup.
- Crush watermelon with a potato masher inside a large stainless steel saucepan. Cover and heat gently over medium-low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and crush thoroughly.
- Transfer to a strainer lined with several layers of dampened cheesecloth set over a deep bowl. Allow this to set undisturbed for 2 hours.
- Measure 2 Cups of watermelon juice. If you do not have enough juice, crush more watermelon or (See Note Below!)
- Prepare your canner or large deep pot, jars, and lids.
- Transfer your watermelon juice to a clean, large, deep saucepan
- Add in your vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and lemongrass
- Over High heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Stir in Pectin and boil hard, stirring constantly for 1 full minute.
- Remove from Heat and quickly skim off foam.
- Quickly pour your hot jelly into your hot jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. De-Bubble.
- Clean the rims of your jars with vinegar and center your lids. Add your bands, and only tighten them until you feel resistance. (See Note Below!)
- Place your jars inside your canner or deep pot. Make sure that your jars are completely covered with water. (Approximately 1″ above the lids)
- Bring to a rolling boil and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the jars and let sit for 12-24 hours or until fully cooled. Check your seals and store.
***You may not need to use this grape juice, this is only if you do not have enough of the watermelon juice after letting it sit for 2 hours. Do not add more than 1/4 cup. ***If you tighten your bands too tight, the excess air will not be able to exit the jars while in the canning process. This can cause your jars to not seal properly.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!